Last week I sat down virtually with Billie Ashton to listen to her story, how she began playing disc golf in a parking lot, her foray into Ultimate Frisbee and entrepreneurship, and what she is up to now. You can listen to the Billie Ashton Interview below.
The interview with Billie was incredibly interesting! She has had such a different experience with disc sports than I have, and likely many of you! Her first interaction with disc sports was playing disc golf in a parking lot in junior high. She learned about Ultimate Frisbee in college, and later started a disc golf business!
Billie also shared some deeply personal moments from her life during the interview. I am touched and humbled that she was willing to share those moments with us all. By the end of the interview, I believe you will see how much disc golf, and disc sports in general have meant to Billie.
The interview with Billie ends with a fun anecdote, and a discussion about some possible old half-time footage from a Vikings game! I haven’t been able to find any footage from the half-time show we discussed, but Billie said she has it recorded somewhere. If we digitize the footage, I’ll be sure let everyone know where to find it!
Billie Ashton Trivia
Below are three trivia questions about Billie Ashton and her Ultimate career. Can you find all three answers in the interview? The answers are provided at the end of the article.
- What was the name of Billie’s business?
- Where will the Minnesota Disc Sports Hall of Fame be located?
- In 1987, Billie organized a demonstration of Ultimate Frisbee during the half-time show of a Vikings game. Who did the Vikings play during that game?
- Billie’s business was Disc Concepts Inc.
- When it’s finished, you will be able to see the Minnesota Disc Sports Hall of Fame at Blue Ribbon Pines Disc Golf Club.
- The Vikings played the Packers in the 1987 game that Billie helped organize a half-time Ultimate Frisbee demonstration for.